schcn517 | Graduate
School Counseling: Foundations
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Ethical and Legal Issues in School Counseling
- Apply ethical standards to realistic situations in school counseling.
- Describe pertinent laws in school district policies and procedures that affect the practice of counseling.
Diversity and Community Awareness
- Compare potential community, environmental, and institutional barriers that inhibit student success and development.
- Identify the effects of social, cultural, environmental, and personal dynamics on counseling services.
- Analyze community, environmental, and institutional opportunities that maximize student success and development.
Essential Counseling Services
- Describe the relationship between the school counseling program and the academic and student services programs in the school.
- Evaluate counseling services that are essential to successful, comprehensive counseling programs in schools.
- Identify consultation and collaboration processes for the school setting.
Trends and Technology in School Settings
- Predict the impact that these trends will have on school counseling in the future.
- Examine the role of current and emerging technology in school counseling.
- Identify major trends in school counseling.
Advocacy and Accountability
- Analyze the role of advocacy for all students in effective school counseling programs.
- Describe the process used to develop accountability in school counseling programs.
- All objectives apply.
Foundations of School Counseling
- Review the historical development of counseling and guidance services in the U.S. education system during the 20th century.
- Identify important historical trends and the effect on shaping counseling and guidance services.
School Counseling Roles and Competencies
- Analyze the counselor’s various roles and competencies in elementary, middle or junior high, and high school settings.
- Analyze the counselor’s leadership responsibilities in enhancing the learning environment.
- Identify the strategies needed to respond to a crisis situation.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.