sci241 | undergraduate
topic title goes here
Proteins and Amino Acids
- Describe risks associated with protein deficiency and overconsumption.
- Explain the role of amino acids in building protein.
- Determine the functions of protein in the body.
Vitamins and Supplements
- Classify vitamins.
- Explain the sources, benefits, and toxicity risks of vitamins.
- Analyze the pros and cons of dietary supplements.
Carbohydrates and Lipids
- Differentiate between simple and complex carbohydrates.
- Identify the functions of sugars, starches, and fibers in the body.
- Identify diseases associated with blood glucose regulation.
- Determine the types and functions of lipids in the body.
- Describe the diseases associated with the type and amount of fat in the body.
Fundamentals of Health and Diet
- Identify how nutrient intake affects current and future health.
- Identify the six classes of nutrients.
- Interpret food labels.
Fitness and Diet
- Track your personal health using DRI recommendations and tools.
- Analyze nutritional information in research and in the media.
- Explain the importance of combining fitness with a healthy diet.
Water and Minerals
- Determine the functions and sources of minerals.
- Describe the function of water in the body.
- Describe the effects of dehydration on the body.
Digestion and Nutrition Life Cycle
- Explain the function and mechanics of the digestive system.
- Compare how proteins, fats, and carbohydrates break down in the digestive system.
- Analyze how a person’s nutritional needs change over the different stages of life.
Obesity, Eating Disorders, and Food Safety
- Describe body composition and the risks associated with excess body fat.
- Assess factors that influence obesity.
- Analyze eating disorders and their associated health problems.
- Identify the importance of managing food safety and security.
Managing Your Health Through Nutrition and Fitness
- Identify factors that help in maintaining a healthy weight.
- Combine good nutrition and regular exercise to maximize good health.
- Develop a nutrition and fitness plan to maintain a healthy body.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.