sec350 | undergraduate
Legal And Regulatory Issues In Security Management
This undergraduate-level course is 5 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Identify fundamental fire code and life safety regulations.
- Assess the value of developing internal investigation and compliance motivation capabilities.
- Identify basic provisions of the Federal Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Review the elements of the Equal Employment Opportunity Act and Affirmative Action.
- Analyze the significance of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- Describe the laws related to sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Discuss the origin and authority of bureaucratic rules and regulations.
- Identify government agencies that may regulate various aspects of security operations.
- Describe the investigative process and sanctions associated with regulatory compliance.
- Review OSHA and worker's compensation regulations.
- Examine environmental regulations that impact security operations.
Authority for Public and Private Police Personnel
- Evaluate the impact of the USA PATRIOT Act on security operations.
- Identify the laws related to temporary detention and custodial arrest.
- Discuss the laws that govern search and seizure.
- Describe the use of force continuum and the authority to use force.
- Contrast the different limitations of the authority imposed on public officers and private security personnel.
Civil Law and Liability
- Discuss the difference between civil and criminal law.
- Identify the fundamentals of tort law.
- Review the elements of contract law.
- Evaluate the potential for civil liability associated with security operations.
- Discuss the impact of security operations on an individual's right to privacy.
- Review case studies that demonstrate behaviors that incur civil liability.
- Examine how regulatory compliance, training, crime prevention and safety programs mitigate institutional liability and recognize the importance of meaningful documentation.
Ethical Concepts and Applications
- Explore perceptual differences and the application ethical concepts.
- Compare and contrast corporate social responsibility and ethics.
- Apply traditional ethical concepts to modern business and security operations.
- Review traditional theories of ethics.
Policies and Procedures
- Examine the reasons for regulating the behaviors of employees and customers in various business environments.
- Describe the authority of an organization to develop regulatory policies and procedures.
- Explore the appropriate procedures for enforcing institutional policies.
- Determine the nature and types of sanctions that can be employed by private organizations.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.