sec540 | Graduate
Science Content And Curricular Knowledge
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Meeting the Needs of Diverse Learners
- Explain ways to differentiate instruction in the secondary science classroom.
- Describe strategies for incorporating reading and writing into science instruction for diverse learners.
- Analyze strategies for fostering an inclusive learning environment, including classroom management.
Pulling it all Together: Management and Planning
- Develop an effective and engaging science lesson plan.
- Review approaches to unit and lesson planning in teaching science.
- Examine the NSTA lab safety standards.
Foundations of Teaching Secondary Science
- Connect the science education framework to best practices in the classroom.
- Examine state and national secondary science education standards.
- Explain the importance of teaching science in a secondary setting.
Instructional Theories and Strategies
- Analyze innovative instructional strategies and materials for teaching science to adolescents.
- Identify instructional strategies for incorporating real-world problem solving that uses scientific reasoning.
- Connect chosen instructional strategies to underlying instructional theory and research.
- Describe instructional activities that illustrate science concepts and principles, scientific investigation, and experimentation.
Getting to Know Your Students
- Explain how teachers can develop an in-depth understanding of their students and how this awareness contributes to increased student engagement and academic success.
- Examine how family and personal experiences shape teaching and learning biases in the science classroom.
- Explore strategies to utilize school, district, and community resources in the science classroom.
- Identify strategies for effective parent-teacher-student communication.
- Analyze various strategies for assessing objectives in science.
- Analyze assessment data to determine current levels of student understanding and next steps for students.
- Create a formative and summative assessment to achieve student science outcomes.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.