sei503 | Graduate
Advanced Structured English Immersion Methods
topic title goes here
Structured English Immersion (SEI) Foundations and Universal Design for Learning (UDL)
- Examine Arizona requirements for Structured English Immersion (SEI) models at the elementary level.
- Differentiate between SEI classrooms, bilingual classrooms, and classrooms with Individual Language Learner Plans (ILLPs).
- Integrate the English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards to plan instruction in different content areas.
- Use the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework as an approach to English language instruction for diverse learners.
Instructional Elements â Reading
- Identify reading comprehension skills and strategies as they apply to elementary English learners.
- Compare effective grouping techniques and cooperative learning strategies for reading instruction.
- Create a lesson aligned to the Reading Domain of the ELP standards.
Instructional Elements â Writing
- Identify writing skills and strategies as they apply to elementary English learners.
- Integrate comprehensible input, feedback, building background, and student engagement to improve student achievement.
- Critique a lesson aligned to the Writing Domain of the ELP standards.
Instructional Elements â Listening and Speaking
- Identify receptive and productive oral language skills and strategies as they apply to elementary EL students.
- Explain the purpose of using a thematic approach to teach EL students in different content areas.
- Create a lesson aligned to the Listening and Speaking Domain of the ELP standards.
Instructional Elements â Grammar and Vocabulary
- Identify grammatical skills and strategies as they apply to elementary EL students.
- Identify word study skills and academic vocabulary strategies in multiple contexts.
- Critique a lesson aligned to the Language Strand of the ELP standards.
Differentiating Instruction and Collaborating with Families
- Create a lesson using SEI instructional elements.
- Differentiate instruction using the UDL principles.
- Determine strategies for adapting content and curricular materials, including technology, for different English language proficiency levels.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.