PHR/SPHR Certification Preparation Course – shrce2090 (4 credits)
The PHR®/SPHR® Certification Preparation Course provides an in-depth overview of the body of Human Resources (HR) knowledge. By attending this course, you identify your areas of strength to build on and the areas where you need further concentrated study to prepare for taking either exam. Earning PHR/SPHR certification demonstrates that you are knowledgeable about the best practices in HR management. It also increases your marketability and builds credibility with employees and leaders in your organization. By preparing well for the certification examination, you can increase your chances of success. This course provides 4 continuing education units.
This non-credit course is 10 weeks. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
Risk Management, Module 6
- Define the role of HR in a risk-management program
- Explain the importance of risk management to an organization
Business Management and Strategy, Module 1
- Define HR's role in creating an organization's strategy
- Explain how to develop an HR business plan that is aligned to the organization's strategic plan
Business Management and Strategy, Module 1 continued
- Explain how HR supports other functions’ strategic roles
- Discuss the key trends in the HR profession and HR’s strategic role in those trends
Workforce Planning and Employment, Module 2
- Define the role of HR in workforce planning and employment
- Evaluate workforce requirements to achieve the organization’s short- and long-term goals and objectives while ensuring activities comply with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations
Workforce Planning and Employment, Module 2 continued
- Identify workforce assessment, interviewing, and selection techniques
- Evaluate retention strategies to keep talented employees in the organization
Human Resource Development, Module 3
- Define the role of HR in training and developing employees
Human Resource Development, Module 3 continued
- Develop programs that increase employee motivation and improve employee performance
- Explain how to implement and evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s appraisal process
Compensation and Benefits, Module 4
- Define the role of HR in the development, implementation, and evaluation of direct compensation and indirect compensation policies, programs, and pay structures that support the organization’s strategic goals, objectives, and values
- Recognize the need to develop, implement, and evaluate compensation polices, programs, and pay structures based on internal equity and external market conditions
- Discuss compensation legislation that affects employer compensation policies
Employee and Labor Relations, Module 5
- Define the role of HR in employee and labor relations
- Recognize the role unions have had and continue to have in the workplace
Employee and Labor Relations, Module 5 continued
- Discuss the role of employee relations in non-unionized environments
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Continuing Education Units (CEUs) and Professional Development Units (PDUs) cannot be converted into academic credit. It is the student's responsibility to confirm whether or not CEUs/PDUs earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by employers and/or applicable licensing agencies.