soc262 | undergraduate
Contemporary American Society
topic title goes here
Major Racial and Ethnic Groups in the United States
- Describe characteristics and challenges of racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
- Identify major racial and ethnic groups in the United States.
Prejudices, Stereotypes, Racism, and Discrimination
- Distinguish between the terms prejudice , stereotyping , racism , and discrimination .
- Differentiate between the two major types of discrimination.
Adaptation, Assimilation, and Multiculturalism
- Describe different ethnic and minority groups’ experiences with adaptation and assimilation.
- Explain the concept of multiculturalism and its meaning to various Americans.
- Explain the power-conflict theory applied to assimilation.
Racial and Ethnic Issues in the United States: Past and Present
- Analyze changes in various racial and ethnic groups’ adaptations to each other over time.
- Identify current issues of race and ethnicity in America.
Racial and Ethnic Groups and Their Relations
- Differentiate between race and ethnicity .
- Compare minority groups and dominant groups in the United States.
- Identify the patterns of intergroup relations that develop between minority and dominant groups
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.