soc335 | undergraduate
The Peoples And Cultures Of Asia
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Pacific Asia to the Twentieth Century: Dynasties and Empires, and the Rise of Nationalism and Communism
- Identify the major nations and cultures of Pacific Asia.
- Describe the influence that Chinese culture had on Korea, Japan, and Vietnam.
- Summarize the cultural characteristics of Southeast and East Asia.
- Analyze the development of Nationalism and Communism in Pacific Asia.
The Pacific War, Its Aftermath, and the Emergence of Asian Capitalism
- Summarize the causes and impact of the Pacific War.
- Explain the reform of the Japanese economy imposed by the U.S.-led occupation.
- Analyze the rise of capitalism in post-war Asian culture.
- Analyze the historical processes and cultural traditions that influenced the postwar political economies of the Asian-Pacific countries.
The Development of Asian Democracy, and America's Cold War in Asia
- Describe Asian efforts to achieve working democratic governments.
- Explain the North-South Division of Korea, and describe the complications caused by democratization in South Korea.
- Compare and contrast the process of democratization in Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and India.
- Analyze the U.S. Cold War in Asia, making note of the influence of domestic policies on foreign policy in both Asia and the U.S.
The Modernization of China, and the Aftermath of Revolution in Indonesia and Vietnam
- Compare and contrast the economies of China with those of the newly industrializing economies (NIEs), the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and Japan.
- Describe the political influence that Indonesia and Vietnam exerted on Southeast Asia.
- Summarize how military affairs have affected the foreign and domestic policies of Indonesia and Vietnam.
- Explain the process of India becoming an emerging superpower, making note of important demographic trends and the rapidly expanding economy.
Russia's Far East, and Asia's Globalization
- Describe what is known as the Soviet Far East, making note of its history of independence from the rest of Russia.
- Identify the territorial conflict of the Soviet Far East with China and Japan.
- Summarize the importance of telecommunications for economic development in Asia.
- Explain the current social conditions for women and minorities in modern Asia.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.