spe514ca | Graduate
Survey Of Special Populations
topic title goes here
Legal Perspectives of Special Education; Terminology
- Investigate strategies for building working partnerships with colleagues and families of exceptional learners.
- Examine terminology, acronyms, and language used in the field of special education.
- Analyze the federal, state, and local legal structures governing programs for students with exceptionalities.
- Explore the IDEA eligibility categories for special education.
- Examine the impact of public policy on special education.
Characteristics of Exceptional Learners
- Examine the social, personality, and learning characteristics of students with exceptionalities.
- Discuss the history of learning disabilities and federal definition of specific learning disability.
- Explain the assets that a student brings to learning through cultural and family values, students experiences, and social interactions.
- Determine the cognition and language characteristics of students with exceptionalities.
Instructional Planning and Learner Engagement for Diverse Classrooms; IEP Development
- Explain service delivery options for students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
- Determine appropriate strategies for differentiating instruction while considering IEP goals and objectives.
- Examine testing and instructional accommodations or modifications for students with exceptionalities.
- Investigate classroom engagement techniques for diverse learning environments.
- Evaluate assistive technology options for exceptional learners.
Response to Intervention (RTI) and Assessment
- Examine the Response to Intervention (RTI) process used to determine studentsâ abilities and functioning levels.
- Determine the Instructional Support Team (IST) and their roles.
- Investigate the tiers of support and possible interventions in RTI.
- Evaluate assessment and progress monitoring practices for exceptional learners.
- Assess the validity of an intensive intervention program.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.