tesol571 | Graduate
Instructional Techniques And Methods
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Planning and Delivering Effective Instruction for English Language Learners
- Describe methods and materials to differentiate instruction.
- Explain how to evaluate lesson delivery.
- Describe the key principles of standards-based curriculum and instruction for English language learners.
- Identify the differences between content and language objectives.
- Explain how to ensure that content and activities are age appropriate and meaningful.
Assessing English Language Learners and Ensuring Lesson Comprehension
- Describe how to build background knowledge and connect prior learning experiences to new learning.
- Identify instructional techniques and activities for vocabulary development and to ensure students understand content.
- Determine techniques to support discussion and interaction during instruction.
- Describe how to provide hands-on practice for English language learners.
- Explain how to provide effective feedback to English language learners.
- Analyze types of assessment for English language learners.
Special Education and English Language Learnersâ Families and Communities
- Suggest intervention techniques for struggling students.
- Determine when special education referrals for English language learners are appropriate.
- Analyze how culture influences family involvement.
- Identify ways to involve culturally diverse families.
- Define key components of effective family involvement programs.
- Develop an effective family involvement program.
Foundations of Effective Instruction for English Language Learners
- Identify the challenges of teaching culturally diverse English language learners.
- Compare first and second language acquisition.
- Apply brain-based learning principles for effective instruction for English language learners.
- Identify the instructional relationship between basic interpersonal communication skills (BICS) and cognitive academic language proficiency (CALP).
- Describe the key components of sheltered instruction for English language learners and the sheltered instruction observation protocol (SIOP) model.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.