Teaching Reading & Writing
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Teaching Reading & Writing
Course level: Continuing Teacher Education
This course provides educators with a foundational awareness and understanding of best practices for teaching reading and writing to English language learners. Language acquisition and literacy development as it relates to teaching reading and writing is explored. Participants create reading and writing instruction and assessment for integration across the curriculum. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky. Effective 1/1/20, the University of Phoenix (UOPX) is no longer an approved TESOL program provider in the state of New Mexico. Individuals enrolling in UOPX TESOL courses will NOT satisfy course requirements for the NM TESOL endorsement. If you are located in a state other than New Mexico, please contact your Department of Education to determine if the TESOL courses will be accepted.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
Language Acquisition and Oral Language Development
- Identify language universals.
- Explain first and second language acquisition theories and principles.
- Contrast social language acquisition with academic language acquisition.
- Describe oral language development in the classroom.
- Identify teaching methods to promote oral language development.
- Explain how to develop oral language through content area instruction.
- Describe how to assess classroom oral language development.
- Explain standards-based instruction and assessment.
- Compare differentiated instruction and content-based instruction.
- Explain the components of thematic instruction.
- Describe how to scaffold reading and writing instruction and assessment for English language learners.
- Describe learning strategies for the three-stage reading process.
- Describe learning strategies for reading comprehension.
- Determine methods to assess literacy development.
- Determine methods to assess vocabulary progression.
- Identify the characteristics of beginning and intermediate readers.
- Identify instructional strategies for beginning and intermediate readers.
- Describe the stages of writing development for English language learners.
- Identify instructional strategies to assist beginning and intermediate writers.
- Assess writing progression.
- Differentiate instruction for writing development.