Brave Conversations in the Workplace
Communication within the workplace doesn't always come easy for everyone. But Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEI&B) skills like developing emotional intelligence (EQ) can help improve professional and personal communication among your team.
In about 30 hours, the Brave Conversations in the Workplace professional development course will explore how having difficult conversations can lead to a more welcoming and safe working environment. Discover the foundations of facilitating open communications by leading from the middle, understanding different views and interpretations and creating effective shared meanings for inclusive team building.
This self-led, non-college-credit course aligns to the SHRM® Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge¹
¹SHRM is a registered trademark of the Society for Human Resource Management.
Skills you'll learn:
Evaluate the characteristics of a safe workplace
Develop EQ and empathy in the work environment
Apply effective feedback and mentoring principles
Foster inclusive team building through shared meanings
Creating Safe Spaces
Developing EQ and Empathy
Effective Feedback and Mentoring
Creating Effective Shared Meanings
What's included in this course:
- Self-paced, 100% online
- Eligible for recertification credits
- 4 career-relevant skills
- No books or materials needed
- Finish course in approx. 30 hrs
- Access to course for 1 year
- Certificate of completion
- 7-day satisfaction guarantee
California: These Professional Development courses or tracks are not available to California residents.
Reasons to buy for business:
- Employees can get registered and start learning today
- Track employee progress
- Eligible for recertification credits
Get recertification credits
This Program, ID No. 630277, has been approved for 30.00 E-Learning recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®).
This course offers 30 Professional Development credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification.
AI-powered video assessments
Practice the communication skills covered in this course through AI-powered video assessments. React to scenarios designed to replicate real-life situations with video responses. Submitted video responses are evaluated by an AI for rate of speech, use of filler and unclear words and proper use of keywords and phrases. Feedback is delivered instantly to accommodate learning at anytime from anywhere.
- Provides real-time, data-driven insights
- Rate of speech
- Use of filler and unclear words
- Incorporation of keywords and phrases
- Helps identify knowledge gaps
- Practice new skills and get instant feedback at anytime, from anywhere
- Rerecord video responses as many times before submitting for evaluation
- Course Introduction
- Course Welcome
- Getting Started
- Module 1: Creating Safe Spaces
- Introduction to Creating Safe Spaces
- Safe Working Environments
- Building a Safe Space
- Foundations of Brave Conversations
- Creating Safe Spaces Skills Assessment
- Module 2: Developing EQ and Empathy
- Introduction to Developing EQ and Empathy
- EQ for Brave Conversations
- Being Comfortable with Discomfort
- Benefits of EQ and Empathy Skills
- EQ and Empathy Skills Assessment
- Module 3: Effective Feedback and Mentoring
- Introduction to Effective Feedback and Mentoring
- Effective Communication and Situational Appropriateness
- The Right Time to Talk
- Creating Expectations of Belonging
- Effective Feedback and Mentoring Skills Assessment
- Module 4: Creating Effective Shared Meanings
- Introduction to Creating Effective Shared Meanings
- Shared Meaning for Inclusive Team Building
- Finding Middle Ground
- Moving the Conversation Forward
- Creating Effective Shared Meanings Skills Assessment
- Course Conclusion
- Course Wrap Up
Tools and resources for you to use right away:
Storytelling for Understanding & Belonging
This PDF contains links to resources that will help you gain familiarity with storytelling as a method for creating belonging and safety.
Leveraging EQ & Empathy
This PDF contains links to resources that will provide tools to help you develop your emotional intelligence and empathy for brave conversations.
Shared Meanings & Effective Communication Tools
This PDF contains links to resources that will help you develop your skills related to creating shared meanings and communicating in difficult circumstances.
Showcase your achievement
Share your Certificate of Completion and Professional Development Badge by uploading them to your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn®² , when you’ve successfully completed your course with a score of 85% or higher.
² LinkedIn is a registered trademark of LinkedIn Corporation and its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Brave Conversations in the Workplace professional development course right for me?
The Brave Conversations in the Workplace course may be right for you if you are interested in helping to improve your emotional intelligence, create safe spaces within the workplace and receive and give constructive feedback. This course could also help you grow your career in the HR field.
Why should I purchase this Brave Conversations in the Workplace professional development course?
By purchasing this Brave Conversations in the Workplace course, you are taking the first step in preparing to have difficult conversations that may lead to a safer and more inclusive working environment. You should purchase this course if you’re interested in learning more about effective shared meanings skills and finding a middle ground when understanding different views.
Do I need to apply for this course?
No application is necessary. Everyone is welcome to the Brave Conversations in the Workplace course.
Does your Brave Conversations in the Workplace professional development course have any prerequisites?
All levels and skillsets are welcome to take the Brave Conversations in the Workplace non-college-credit course. There are no prerequisites for this course.
Can the Brave Conversations in the Workplace course offer professional development credits (PDCs) for SHRM recertification?
Yes. This course aligns to the SHRM® Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge and offers 30 PDCs for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification.
What is it like to participate in the professional development Brave Conversations in the Workplace course?
The Brave Conversations in the Workplace course has four modules comprised of subjects like “Creating Effective Shared Meanings.” Each module has a knowledge check and brief assessment to validate your skills. You can expect the course to take about 30 hours, and all courses are 100% online and self-paced.