Elements of Effective Business Communication
Discover techniques designed to improve how you craft and deliver concise and informative communications. Learn how to become a better listener so you can help address the concerns of others. And explore different ways to transfer and translate information from one level within an organization to another.
This is Elements of Effective Business Communication. In about 30 hours, you could enhance your communication skills and influence how you interact with people at any level within the workplace. But true communication goes well beyond what you say. Learn more about the importance of listening to and understanding received communications. Get help recognizing how everything from your word choice to your body language can influence how your communications are presented. And gain insights into communicating information between different departments and positions within an organization.
This self-led, non-college-credit course aligns to the SHRM® Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge¹
¹SHRM is a registered trademark of the Society for Human Resource Management.
Skills you'll learn:
Apply communication principles to articulate information relevant to audience, purpose and context
Utilize appropriate language and tone to convey information appropriately
Apply active and empathetic listening skills to respond effectively in different business situations
Apply effective communication elements to differing business presentation settings
Clear, concise, understandable communication
Utilizing appropriate tone and body language
Active and empathetic listening
Presentations and delivering organizational messaging
What's included in this course:
- Self-paced, 100% online
- Eligible for recertification credits
- 4 career-relevant skills
- No books or materials needed
- Finish course in approx. 30 hrs
- Access to course for 1 year
- Certificate of completion
- 7-day satisfaction guarantee
California: These Professional Development courses or tracks are not available to California residents.
Reasons to buy for business:
- Employees can get registered and start learning today
- Track employee progress
- Eligible for recertification credits
Get recertification credits
This Program, ID No. 625789, has been approved for 30.00 E-Learning recertification credit hours toward aPHR™, aPHRi™, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRi™ and SPHRi™ recertification through HR Certification Institute® (HRCI®).
This course offers 30 Professional Development credits (PDCs) for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification.
AI-powered video assessments
Practice the communication skills covered in this course through AI-powered video assessments. React to scenarios designed to replicate real-life situations with video responses. Submitted video responses are evaluated by an AI for rate of speech, use of filler and unclear words and proper use of keywords and phrases. Feedback is delivered instantly to accommodate learning at anytime from anywhere.
- Provides real-time, data-driven insights
- Rate of speech
- Use of filler and unclear words
- Incorporation of keywords and phrases
- Helps identify knowledge gaps
- Practice new skills and get instant feedback at anytime, from anywhere
- Rerecord video responses as many times before submitting for evaluation
- Course Introduction
- Course Welcome
- Getting Started
- Module 1: Clear, Concise, and Understandable Communication
- Introduction to Clear, Concise, and Understandable Communication
- Understanding the Elements of Communication
- Communication in the Global Digital Age
- Communication in the Global Arena
- Clear, Concise, and Understandable Communication Skills Assessment
- Module 2: Appropriate Tone and Body Language
- Introduction to Appropriate Tone and Body Language Skills
- Communicating with Confidence
- Communicating Effectively with your Audience
- Knowing Your Audience
- Utilizing Appropriate Tone and Body Language Skills Assessment
- Module 3: Active and Empathetic Listening
- Introduction to Active and Empathetic Listening
- Critical Elements of Active and Empathetic Listening
- Demonstrating Active Listening Techniques
- Active Listening with Clients
- Different Types of Listening
- Becoming a Better Listener
- Active and Empathetic Listening Skills Assessment
- Module 4: Presentations and Delivering Organizational Messaging
- Introduction to Presentations and Delivering Organizational Messaging
- Messaging, Media Literacy, and Communication
- Delivering an Effective Prospect Presentation
- Presentation Delivery and Audience Engagement
- Presentations and Delivering Organizational Messaging Skills Assessment
- Course Conclusion
- Course Wrap Up
Tools and resources for you to use right away:
This PDF contains links to resources that provide an overview of active listening, as well as practical tips and techniques for building this important skill.
Effective Business Presentations
This PDF contains links to resources that include tips and techniques for determining the appropriate type of presentation to give, how to work through anxiety related to public speaking, and methods to engage and inspire audiences.
Foundations of Business Communication
This PDF contains links to resources on basics of business communication including common problems, different communication and communicator styles and types, options for audience analysis, and how to speak up with confidence in the work environment.
Recognizing your accomplishment
Complete a skill and earn a shareable skill badge.
Certificate of Completion
Share your Certificate of Completion and Professional Development Badge by uploading them to your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn®¹, when you've successfully completed your course with a score of 85% or higher.
¹LinkedIn is a registered trademark of LinkedIn Corporation and it's affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Elements of Effective Business Communication professional development course right for me?
The Elements of Effective Business Communication course may be right for you if you have an interest in learning more about communicating effectively within the workplace. This course could also help you grow your career in the HR field.
Why should I purchase this Elements of Effective Business Communication professional development course?
By purchasing this Elements of Effective Business Communication course, you are taking the first step in growing your workplace communication skills. You should purchase this course if you’re interested in learning theories and best practices in workplace communication.
Do I need to apply for this course?
No application is necessary. Everyone is welcome to the Elements of Effective Business Communication course.
Does your Elements of Effective Business Communication professional development course have any prerequisites?
All levels and skillsets are welcome to take the Elements of Effective Business Communication non-college-credit course. There are no prerequisites for this course.
Can the Elements of Effective Business Communication course offer professional development credits (PDCs) for SHRM recertification?
Yes. This course aligns to the SHRM® Body of Applied Skills and Knowledge and offers 30 PDCs for SHRM-CP® or SHRM-SCP® recertification.
What is it like to participate in the professional development Elements of Effective Business Communication course?
The Elements of Effective Business Communication course has four modules comprised of subjects like “Clear, Concise, Understandable Communication.” Each module has a knowledge check and brief assessment to validate your skills. You can expect the course to take about 30 hours, and all courses are 100% online and self-paced.