Medical Coding Fundamentals
This course was designed to help train you in real-world medical coding job skills in less than 30 hours. Learn how to use the Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System, (HCPCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes, correctly identify medical procedures and services claims, effectively use modifiers with HCPCS and CPT codes and much more!
Skills you'll learn:
Utilize the ICD-10(-CM) manual when given patient medical information to assign the correct codes for claims purposes
Utilize the CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) code books to correctly assign the code for the medical procedure or service as documented in the medical record
Apply codes from the two levels of HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System) codes and correctly identify medical procedures or services claims to government (Medicare/Medicaid) or other payers that take HCPCS codes
Identify how and when to add modifiers with HCPCS and CPT codes
Utilize Modifiers Manual to assign correct codes
Utilize the ICD-10 Manual to assign correct codes
Utilize the CPT Manual to assign correct codes
Utilize the HCPCS Manual to assign correct codes
- Self-paced, 100% online
- 4 job-ready skills
- No books or materials needed
- Finish in approx. 30 hrs
- Access for 1 year
- Certificate of completion
- 7-day satisfaction guarantee
California: Professional Development Skills Pathways are not available to California residents.
Reasons to buy for business:
- Employees can get registered and start learning today
- Track employee progress
- Helps prepare for CBCS exam
Certified Billing and Coding Specialist exam prep
This course can be purchased individually or as part of the Medical Billing and Coding Track that can help you prepare for the Certified Billing and Coding Specialist exam.
- Course Introduction
- Getting Started
- Course Welcome
- Module 1: ICD-10 Manual and Codes
- Introduction to the ICD-10 Manual
- ICD-10 Basics, Format, and Code Retrieval
- Training and Guidelines for ICD-10 Manual Use
- ICD-10 Manual and Codes Key Terms
- ICD-10 Manual and Codes Knowledge Check
- ICD-10 Manual and Codes Skills Assessment
- Module 2: CPT Manual and Codes
- Introduction to the CPT Manual
- CPT Basics and Usage
- Training and Guidelines for CPT Manual Use
- CPT Manual and Codes Key Terms
- CPT Manual and Codes Knowledge Check
- CPT Manual and Codes Skills Assessment
- Module 3: HCPCS Manual and Codes
- Introduction to the HCPCS Manual
- HCPCS Coding for Beginners
- Coding Procedures and Guidelines for HCPCS Manual Use
- HCPCS Manual and Codes Key Terms
- HCPCS Manual and Codes Knowledge Check
- HCPCS Manual and Codes Skills Assessment
- Module 4: Modifiers for CPT and HCPCS Codes
- Introduction to CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers
- Identifying CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers
- Procedures for CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers
- CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers Key Terms
- CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers Knowledge Check
- CPT and HCPCS Code Modifiers Skills Assessment
- Course Conclusion
- Course Wrap Up
Tools and resources you can access after purchasing:
Abbreviation/Acronym Cheat Sheet
A PDF that includes a handy list of common abbreviations and acronyms used in medical billing and coding.
Dos and Don’ts of Medical Billing and Coding
A PDF that includes some helpful tips about what to do and what not to do in relation to medical billing and coding.
Medical Billing and Coding Tip Sheet
A PDF that includes quick steps for ICD-10 and CPT coding, as well as a list of some commonly used codes.
Recognizing your accomplishment
Complete a skill and earn a shareable skill badge.
Certificate of Completion
Share your Certificate of Completion and Professional Development Badge by uploading them to your social media profiles, such as LinkedIn®¹, when you've successfully completed your course with a score of 85% or higher.
¹LinkedIn is a registered trademark of LinkedIn Corporation and it's affiliates in the United States and/or other countries.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Medical Coding Fundamentals professional development Skills Pathway right for me?
The Medical Coding Fundamentals professional development Skills Pathway might be the right Skills Pathway for you if you have an interest in learning how to use the ICD-10(-CM) manual and could also help you grow your career in the non-clinical healthcare field.
Why should I purchase the Medical Coding Fundamentals Skills Pathway?
Purchasing our Medical Coding Fundamentals Skills Pathway is a great first step in growing your medical coding job skills. You should purchase this Skills Pathway if you're interested in learning Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes, correctly identifying medical procedures and service claims.
Do I need to apply to take this Skills Pathway?
Everyone is welcome to take our Medical Coding Fundamentals Skills Pathway. No application is necessary.
Does this Medical Coding Fundamentals professional development Skills Pathway have any prerequisites?
All skills and levels are welcome to take our Medical Coding Fundamentals Skills Pathway. There are no prerequisites for this Skills Pathway.
What is like to participate in Medical Coding Fundamentals?
Medical Coding Fundamentals has four modules comprised of subjects like “applying codes from the HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System).” Each module has a knowledge check and brief assessment to validate your skills. You can expect the Skills Pathway to take about 30 hours, and all Skills Pathways are 100% online and self-paced.
How much does the Medical Coding Fundamentals professional development Skills Pathway cost?
$149.99 with a 7-Day Satisfaction Guarantee or your money back.
What is a Skills Pathway and what are the different types?
A Skills Pathway is a series of skills that can be learned over a period of time.
Prebuilt Pathway: A series of two or more existing skill modules that’s ready to launch today.
- Training Pathway: A series of two or more one-hour skill modules that does not prepare employees for a certification exam or help them earn recertification credits.
- Certification Pathway: Completing this Prebuilt Pathway can help employees prepare for a third-party certification exam.
- Recertification Pathway: Completing this Prebuilt Pathway can help employees earn recertification credits for a specific agency such as SHRM® and HRCI®.
Tailored Skills Pathway: Select multiple existing skill modules to create this Pathway. Skill modules and assessments can be modified slightly to accommodate the needs of your business.
Custom Skills Pathway: Our team will build completely new skill modules and assessments for your business and workforce.