Veteran Educational Benefits

We’re here to help you. If you’re a veteran or a dependent planning to use your VA entitlement to cover tuition expenses or to help with other costs as you attend school, we’ve created the following three step process to guide you in submitting the correct paperwork. We’re also happy to answer your questions about everything from claiming your entitlements to finding your regional Veterans Affairs office to disability services at the University.

In order for University of Phoenix to process VA entitlements, all paperwork must be submitted to your Enrollment Representative at University of Phoenix. Your VA entitlements will be significantly delayed if you bypass the University of Phoenix Veterans Affairs office and send your VA information directly to the federal VA office.

The Veterans Shared Responsibility Letter highlights your responsibility as a student and our responsibility as a university. Read about it here

Please follow the three steps below to identify your entitlement, apply for benefits and submit paperwork to start your VA educational benefits with University of Phoenix:

How to get started

1. Find out what chapter you use to claim entitlements

Visit the Department of Veterans Affairs website for additional information on educational entitlements. ›

2. Apply for benefits at University of Phoenix

Please submit the corresponding paperwork based on your answers to the following questions:

Which VA educational entitlement are you applying for? Please select the link below.

3. Submit VA paperwork to your Enrollment Representative

Before submitting your paperwork to your Enrollment Representative, please validate that you have the correct University of Phoenix campus address on your VA application. The incorrect campus address may lead to the wrong monthly housing allowance payment (BAH) and a delay in the processing of your VA claim.

University of Phoenix campus addresses

California ground campus students:

Before enrolling with the University of Phoenix, the State of California requires students to read and sign the California Student Bill of Rights. This document is to be submitted with your VA paperwork to your Enrollment Representative.

Nevada ground campus students:

Nevada requires that the University notify federal VA if students have not provided transcripts of all previous education prior to the 24th week of instruction. Following this notification, federal VA may choose not to pay for courses until such time as all transcripts are received by the University. 

North Carolina undergraduate ground campus students:

North Carolina requires all students attending campus locations to provide all transcripts from previous schools prior to certification of courses and payment from the VA. North Carolina also requires a copy of your HS diploma if transferring less than 24 credits (post-secondary transfer credits only).

Florida ground campus students:

Florida requires all students attending campus locations to provide all transcripts from previous schools. If all transcripts are not received before you complete 6 credit hours the University will be unable to certify payment for additional courses until the transcripts are received.


Additional information

GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

Your future begins here