Media Influences On American Culture – hum186 (3 credits)
The course provides an introduction to the most prominent forms of media that influence and impact social, business, political, and popular culture in contemporary America. It explores the unique aspects of each medium as well as interactions across various media that combine to create rich environments for information sharing, entertainment, business, and social interaction in the United States and around the world.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks. This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
The News Media – Journalism and Democracy
- Evaluate the transformative effect of electronic media on journalism.
- Describe the role of the news media in politics.
- Assess how information media affect American values.
- Explain the social responsibilities of the news media.
Advertising and the Culture of Consumerism
- Explain the role of advertising in a culture of consumerism.
- Outline key persuasive techniques used in consumer advertising.
- Identify critical issues in advertising.
The Formative Influence of Mass Media on American Culture
- Identify the effects of mass media on American culture.
- Summarize the evolution of mass media.
- Describe the value of media literacy.
- Explain the implications of media convergence.
The Significance of the Internet and Social Media
- Explain the implications of easily obtainable information.
- Evaluate the advantages and disadvantages of social media.
- Assess credibility issues regarding information on the Internet.
The Power of Sounds and Images – Music, Radio, Television, Games, and Film
- Explain the reflective relationship between American culture and various entertainment media.
- Assess how entertainment media affect American values.
- Analyze the influence of entertainment media on social behavior.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.