pol215 | undergraduate
State And Local Political Processes
This course provides students with an introduction to the organization, administration, and functions of American state and local governments. The relationship between state and federal governments is also analyzed.
topic title goes here
Foundations and Institutions of State Governments
- Describe state judicial, educational, and social-service systems.
- Explain the role and function of state constitutions.
- Identify the role of state legislatures, governors, attorneys general, and other executive officials.
- Identify major sources and expenditures of state finances.
Political Processes of State Governments
- Analyze the function of political parties and interest groups in state politics.
- Describe forms of citizen participation in state government.
- Summarize the state election process.
Organization and Functions of Local Governments
- Analyze different forms of local governments.
- Identify various challenges and benefits of rural, suburban, and urban communities.
- Describe current public policy issues and challenges in local governments.
- Describe the relationship between state and local governments.
How Do Governments Work Together?
- Differentiate between the powers and functions of state and local governments.
- Identify advantages and disadvantages of intergovernmental relationships.
- Analyze the relationship of state and local governments to the U.S. federal government.
- Analyze current issues involving multiple governments.
Foundations of the U.S. federal government
- Define federalism.
- Identify the major components of the U.S. Constitution.
- Explain the role and function of the federal legislative, executive, and judicial branches.
- Describe the historical and philosophical foundations of the U.S. federal government.
- Summarize the role of federalism relative to the current U.S. political climate.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.