In 1976, Dr. John Sperling, a Cambridge-educated economist and professor-turned-entrepreneur, saw an opportunity—and seized it—to cater to working adults seeking higher education by offering convenient class times at local sites.
Now we are the nation's largest private university, offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs at more than 100 locations, as well as online in most countries around the world.
Driven by innovation in education, we have pioneered many of the conveniences that students now enjoy — evening classes, flexible scheduling, continuous enrollment, a student-centered environment, online classes, a digital library and computer simulations. In addition, the University has 20 years experience in online education — a kind of education that's research-proven to be just as effective as conventional instruction.
Founding Principles Inspire Excellence
The same principles of inclusion and progress that led to the founding of the University are reflected in our mission, purpose and strategy today.
Several recent events highlight our commitment to educational excellence:
- The University's Severely Injured Veterans Scholarship program is recognized on the U.S. Army Community Covenant Web site as a national best practice in support of military members and their families.
- "Good Practices in Distance Education" by Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education.
- Selected for excellence in undergraduate education and participated in the “Project Good Work” study, conducted by researchers from Harvard, Stanford, and Claremont Graduate University.
- Computerworld's "100 Premier IT Leaders for 2009" awarded to Joe Mildenhall, University of Phoenix CIO.
- Council on Higher Education Accreditation recognized University of Phoenix as an exemplary institution for "Ensuring Quality in Distance Education."
- The 2008 Apex Award for Publication Excellence in the category of New Magazines and Journals given to the Journal of Leadership Studies, a publication of the School of Advanced Studies at University of Phoenix.
or call us