Attend Homecoming 2014, where opportunity and fun collide! Find an event near you.
5 ways to be a Homecoming
King or Queen
As a UOPX alumnus, you are part of one of the world’s largest social networks—more than 270,000 strong on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram. Homecoming 2014 is a perfect opportunity to connect with fellow alumni in your community, and to continue those connections socially and professionally.
We know networking isn't easy for everyone, so here are some tips to help you make the most of your upcoming Homecoming event.
Bring plenty of business cards
• Business cards are a great way to exchange contact information. Also, on the back of business cards you receive, write short notes about the person or potential follow-up plans.
• Did you know your alumnus status earns you 7% cash back when you print at Vistaprint?
Casual conversation works best
• Have you ever heard the saying, “When you help others, you help yourself?” That saying is at the heart of networking. The goal is to discover how you can help others by learning about their interests, family and ideas. Offer information about yourself and ask open-ended questions to start the conversation.
• Phoenix Focus magazine's article "10 ways to get people talking" is a great read before you head to Homecoming.
Short chats can reap big rewards
• Make wise use of your time and use this opportunity to connect with a variety of people on many different levels. By simply introducing yourself and asking one or two questions, you’ll discover common interests that you can build on after the event.
• Kathryn Minshew's video "Networking 103: How to Wrap Up a Conversation" can help you seal the deal.
Remember to follow up
• Within 48 hours, send follow-up emails or LinkedIn® invites to the people you met. Rather than saying, “Nice to meet you,” personalize the follow-up by recalling a topic that you discussed with them. Offer to share contacts or useful information.
• Kathryn Minshew's video "Networking 104: The Key to A Strong Follow-up" can help build this skill (and the video's only 22 seconds. That's less than half a minute of your time).
Stay connected – join your local chapter
• Homecoming happens once a year, but local alumni chapters host several events throughout the year. Joining a chapter is a great way to stay connected and continue building the relationships you began at homecoming.
• Psssstttt.... this would be a great time to join a chapter.