There's a personal story behind each graduate's journey to commencement day. We look forward to celebrating this significant part of the journey with you soon!
Date: Saturday, October 5, 2019
Time: Ceremonies at 9:30am and 3:30pm.
Door opening times:
- 9:30am ceremony: Doors into the venue open at 8:00am, the doctoral reception is at 8:00am, ceremony hall doors open at 8:30am.
- 3:30pm Ceremony: Doors into the venue open at 2:00pm, the doctoral reception at 2:00pm, ceremony hall doors open at 2:30pm.
Venue: Georgia International Convention Center
Address: 2000 Convention Center Concourse, Atlanta, GA 30337
If you’d like to watch the Atlanta Commencement Ceremonies Livestream, head over to our YouTube® channel starting Saturday, October 5 at 9:30 am and 3:30 pm, both EST.
- October 5, 2019 at 9:30am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPnlBHV7qn0
- October 5, 2019 at 3:30pm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjyYOraewnI
If you have any questions, please emai UOPAtlantaCommencement@phoenix.edu.
Things to know before you go
Parking is available at the Convention Center surface parking. Parking fee is $10 per entry or $15 in/out. ADA parking is available in Parking Lot C and drop off points are available at each end of the center near entrance doors. There will be an attendant directing traffic.
Graduates will enter at the main entrance doors and go to Salon 4. Doctoral graduates and guests attending the reception will go to Salon 1. There will be signs and staff guiding graduates to the applicable room.
Guests will enter at the main entrance doors, and ushers will direct them to seating.
Please bring your name index card the day of the ceremony. The index card shows a bar code with your name and degree. These cards will be mailed out prior to the ceremony to each graduate. We can provide a duplicate name card if needed the day of the ceremony.
Tickets are not required for the ceremony, and seating is available on a first come, first serve basis only.
There is no storage at the commencement venue for personal belongings. Please make arrangements for a guest to hold any personal items or carry them with you at all times. Please be advised that University of Phoenix is not responsible for any damage or loss to personal property.
Regalia items to bring
Bring your cap and gown. Additionally, undergraduates must bring their stoles and graduate students must bring their hoods. Staff will assist you in arranging your hood prior to the ceremony. Use a cool iron if necessary to ensure a wrinkle-free appearance. For any special regalia needs or for pickup arrangements, Herff Jones accepts cash or card. Please contact Tammy Messier at 678.240.9283 for any regalia needs or questions.
Military graduates: Remember to bring your cord to the ceremony. The military cord was available to order on the regalia web site. If this was not ordered, they will be available the day of the ceremony.
Honor cord eligibility
- You must be a bachelor’s degree student with a program GPA of 3.85 or higher. The University does not have an honors designation for associate, masters or doctoral students.
- If you have met the University Honors requirements, by the commencement ceremony date, and have met all other eligibility criteria, will be recognized at commencement ceremonies with the University honor cord. Students who attend commencement ceremonies and wear the University honor cord before degree conferral are not guaranteed the “Graduated with Honors” designation. Academic standards must be met in order for a “Graduated with Honors” degree to be awarded. Students may fail to meet the University Honors standards after attending commencement ceremonies.
Honor Cord distribution
The University identifies graduates registered for the commencement who are eligible for the honor cord. If you are eligible to receive an honor cord one will be provided to you at no cost on the day of commencement.
If you or any of your guests will require ADA accommodations at the Atlanta Commencement Ceremony, please contact the Atlanta Commencement team at UOPAtlantaCommencement@phoenix.edu. Wheelchairs are not available, so please plan accordingly. There will be several accessible seating areas.
No balloons, glitter, confetti, or outside food and drink are allowed in the venue.
The University has coordinated with Grad Images to photograph graduates at the ceremony.
The University has coordinated with Herff Jones to display and sell class rings. They’ll be available at a table near the registration area.
Leaving the ceremony
We ask that you stay until the end of the program and participate in the recessional march. It is recommended that you designate a place to meet after the ceremony concludes. We ask that you stay through the entire ceremony out of respect for all graduates and participate in the final ceremony act — moving your tassel — as well as the recessional celebration walk! You will be able to meet your family in the lobby area after the recessional.
Share your accomplishment
Please share ceremony photos and stories about your educational journey on our Facebook page.