ccmh510 | Graduate
Multi-cultural Issues In Mental Health Counseling
topic title goes here
The Role of the Counselor and the Counseling Process
- Assess local counseling resources and referral agencies that specialize in a subgroup or population.
- Compare how various cultures define the role of the counselor and the role of the client.
- Discuss commonalities and differences that exist among diverse groups regarding their attitudes, beliefs, needs, and philosophies toward the counseling process.
Cultural Counselor Competencies and Ethical Considerations
- Examine AMCD multicultural competencies for counselors.
- Examine ethical guidelines for counseling clients from diverse groups.
- Describe the characteristics of an effective cultural counselor.
Competent Counseling Interventions for Diverse Populations
- Identify specific counseling interventions for diverse populations.
- Identify cross-cultural issues and interventions.
Overview of Cultural Counseling: Current State of the Profession
- Summarize the historical development of cultural counseling.
- Describe contemporary issues in multicultural counseling.
- Define worldview, culture, ethnicity, prejudice, and privilege
- Describe personal biases, prejudices, and limitations associated with worldview.
Exploring Individual Lifespan and Lifestyle From a Cultural Perspective
- Identify the dynamics of diversity and cultural upbringing as they pertain to the counselor in training.
- Explain the development of racial and cultural identity.
- Determine how differences in culture and context between the counselor and the client may affect counselor effectiveness.
- Examine the concerns and struggles often facing cultural counselors in a predominantly North American, youth-oriented, and able-bodied society.
Sociopolitical, Educational, Career, Social, and Personal Growth
- Evaluate the educational, professional, and social struggles often facing diverse groups.
- Identify common public policy and advocacy issues associated with the accessibility of mental health services.
- Examine the social justice role of counselors in eliminating intentional and unintentional oppression and discrimination.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.