Ethics & Social Responsibility in Education
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course introduces learners to the concepts of ethical reasoning and professional ethics in teaching. Learners will explore how their personal values and dispositions--whether inherited through culture and tradition or consciously adopted--interact with professional codes of ethics and ethical decision-making. Learners will examine ethical theories and the function of ethics in teaching. Ethical dilemmas in the education workplace will also be investigated. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Iowa, Idaho, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Texas, Wisconsin, Wyoming and individuals who reside outside the United States.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Define ethics.
- Identify key ethical descriptors.
- Differentiate between ethical theories.
- Identify professional codes of ethics.
- Analyze the relationship between ethics and education.
- Compare ethics, morals, values, and dispositions.
- Identify how personal and community values correspond to education.
- Describe how community values and expectations might influence personal values and dispositions.
- Explain how personal values affect professional decisions.
- Define legal terminology used in the educational setting.
- Identify legal concerns of the K–12 teacher.
- Describe how ethical and legal concerns in education might conflict.
- Analyze ethical issues in education.
- Apply ethical reasoning to educational decisions.