Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course will introduce students to the legal and regulatory challenges of facility planning and development. Students will analyze facility designs, discuss future health care consumer utilization trends, as well as examine the regulatory compliance requirements.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Explain the evolution of health care facility design since the 1900s.
- Differentiate between the types of health care facilities.
- Describe the role of stakeholders in facility planning and development.
- Identify processes in space and facility planning.
- Analyze essential environmental elements considered in facility design.
- Differentiate the facility equipment and technology use within facility design.
- Analyze the use of community demographics and accessibility within facility planning.
- Analyze the impact of federal, state, and local legal and regulatory requirements on facility design.
- Analyze accountability and liability implications for individuals and organizations within facility design.
- Evaluate accountability and liability implications for individuals and organizations within facility design.
- Analyze legal versus ethical considerations related to facility design.
- Explain the five process groups used in project management.
- Explain budget planning and cost estimates in health care facility design.
- Explain the steps in an implementation plan.
- Explain standard operating procedures for waste management, fire and safety, and disaster management for health care facilities
- Describe technology, equipment, and design elements that will support a sustainable health care facility of the future.
- Design a community-based sustainable health care facility that addresses the needs of the community demographics.