Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all courses are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an enrollment representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
In this course students will learn about the interaction between people and their environments; how our behavior affects our environment, and how that environment, in turn, influences our own behavior. An emphasis will be placed on developing behavioral solutions for environmental problems.
What you'll learn
What you’ll learn
- Define the discipline of environmental psychology.
- Explain how the natural environment can affect health.
- Explore the benefits of restorative environments.
- Discuss reactions associated with person-environment relationships.
- Examine environmental risks.
- Evaluate the concept of risk perception.
- Analyze the effects of population density on individuals.
- Examine the effects of noise as an environmental pollutant.
- Analyze the concepts of personal space and territorialism.
- Evaluate how architecture impacts behavior.
- Examine the psychological associations related to commercial or residential design.
- Explain the importance of nature in relation to the urban environment.
- Explain how environmental cues shape behavior.
- Evaluate how behavior can be modified to support sustainability and limit negative environmental impact.
- Describe how social norms influence behavior and beliefs about the environment.
- Identify solutions to change behavior and habits in order to lessen negative environmental impact.
- Analyze the importance of sustainable development.
- Evaluate strategies for promoting positive environmental behavior.
- Explain how positive and negative consequences can increase pro-environmental behavior.
- Describe the positives and negatives of technological advances on the environment.
- Assess the influence of environmental policies.