sec536 | Graduate
Social Studies Content And Curricular Knowledge
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Describe the use of data from formative and summative assessments in planning.
- Examine strategies for engaging learners in assessing their progress.
- Evaluate strategies for assessing student understanding of social studies content.
- Analyze strategies for utilizing formative and summative assessments and rubrics.
- Investigate methods for incorporating culturally responsive instruction in history and social studies.
- Evaluate strategies for teaching skills and concepts in history and social studies.
- Analyze ways to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of culturally, academically, and linguistically diverse students.
- Investigate strategies for using inquiry to develop reasoning skills in a social studies context.
Interdisciplinary Social Studies Curriculum
- Examine core standards for literacy instruction in secondary social studies.
- Evaluate current texts, trade books, and media for teaching secondary social studies.
- Determine effective methods of teaching writing in secondary social studies.
- Determine methods of integrating other content areas with secondary social studies instruction.
- Determine strategies for using self-reflection to stay current and improve instructional practice.
- Determine strategies for collaborating with all stakeholders to improve student learning.
- Investigate professional organizations and resources for social studies educators.
- Identify professional development opportunities available to social studies teachers.
Standards, Trends, and Approaches to Social Studies Education
- Examine state and national standards for secondary history and social studies.
- Describe current trends and issues in secondary social studies education.
- Investigate the importance of teaching and learning civics and civic duty.
- Examine secondary-level core content in world history, United States history and government, and economics.
Social Studies Curriculum and Resources
- Investigate resources for secondary social studies curriculum.
- Examine how primary-source literature can shape teaching and learning perceptions in the social studies classroom.
- Evaluate methods and resources for integrating technology into secondary social studies curriculum.
- Determine strategies for creating engaging lesson and unit plans for achieving curricular goals.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.