tesol572 | Graduate
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Language Acquisition and Content Area Instruction
- Compare Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) and Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP).
- Explain how language acquisition stages and characteristics influence instruction and assessment.
- Analyze the value of teaching content and language simultaneously.
- Identify the challenges of instruction and assessment within content areas.
- Explain how authentic assessment tools can be used across the curriculum.
- Explain how to incorporate multiple intelligences in assessment.
- Explain the relationship between first and second language proficiency.
Reading and Writing
- Describe the developmental stages of the reading and writing processes.
- Analyze how listening and speaking influence reading and writing development.
- Explain current research on effective reading and writing assessments.
- Explain how to use data from language proficiency tests.
Formal and Informal Assessments
- Identify appropriate assessment techniques for placement of English language learners.
- Explain how assessment may influence the underrepresentation of English language learners in gifted programs.
- Analyze the use of performance assessments for determining individual student goals and objectives.
Standards, Communication, and Family Involvement
- Describe the process of assessing and identifying the needs of English language learners.
- Identify Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) standards that relate to assessment.
- Explain the benefits of performance assessment
- Communicate assessment issues with stakeholders.
- Explain how to involve families in assessment processes.
- Explain why family involvement supports effective assessment.
- Develop a family involvement program aligned to assessment.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.