8. Computer and information systems manager
Computer and information systems managers are responsible for the goals of an organization, and they oversee the implementation of computer systems to meet those goals. Tasks may include planning the maintenance of new hardware and software, directing the work of other IT professionals on this list (like information security analysts and software developers) or analyzing and advocating for an organization’s IT needs.
To become a computer and information systems manager, employers typically require candidates to have a bachelor’s degree in an IT field like computer science or information systems. Some managers also have a graduate degree in the same field.
The job outlook for computer and information systems managers is projected to grow 16% between 2021 and 2031. This is an estimated 48,500 job openings each year.
9. Technical consultant
IT consultants analyze a company’s computer and network needs and offer advice on improving information technology operations, security and efficiency. In this career, you may also help clients make long- and short-term plans for IT operations, guide the hiring process of skilled personnel and help upgrade a computer or network system.
This career requires expert-level knowledge of IT. Most consulting firms seek candidates with a bachelor’s degree in information technology or computer information systems. Gaining a computer information systems degree will give you a broad knowledge base to specialize in several different in-demand careers in information technology.
Overall, the demand for computer and information technology occupations, a category that includes this consulting role, is projected to grow 15% between 2021 and 2031, according to BLS. This would add an estimated 682,800 jobs each year to the job market.
10. Database administrators and architects
Database administrators and architects create and oversee an organization’s IT systems. These systems can house critical data like financial records or customer information. Database administrators and architects are responsible for the organization, security and efficiency of these systems. They must also ensure data is both accessible to authorized users and backed up in case of an outage.
To become a database administrator or architect, applicants typically require a bachelor’s degree in either computer or information technology or a related field. Some employers may prefer an applicant with a master’s degree that focuses on database management. University of Phoenix does not have an aligning degree that can guarantee this position as a job outcome.
Employment within this occupation is projected to grow 9% between 2021 and 2031, according to BLS. This is an estimated 11,500 job openings each year.
Computer science and IT programs at University of Phoenix
If you’re interested in pursuing a job in computer information systems, the first step is learning skills often taught in an information technology degree program or a degree program in a related field. University of Phoenix offers bachelor’s degrees in the following fields of study.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science — This computer science degree equips you with knowledge to apply information technology theory and principles to address real-world business challenges. Advanced concepts in math, programming and computer architecture are covered.
- Bachelor of Science in Cybersecurity — This program teaches top skills such as security policies, network security, information systems security and cybersecurity.
- Bachelor of Science in Data Science — Gain fundamental skills and knowledge needed to analyze, manipulate and process data sets using statistical software. Learn ETL (extract, transform, load) processes for integrating data sets for business intelligence and more.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology — This program is designed to teach top skills such as business process, cybersecurity, information systems, operations and systems analysis.
Learn more about these and other information technology degrees at University of Phoenix!