bshs435 | undergraduate
Research And Statistics In Human Services
This course provides an overview of research methods and appropriate use of statistics in the social sciences. A component of program development and evaluation involves knowledge of theory related to understanding research and statistics in the human services arena. The scientific method, research tools, data collection, and analysis will be reviewed. Understanding research and developing the ability to critically evaluate published research reports will be emphasized. Statistical concepts will be reviewed, and students will gain a conceptual understanding of underlying principles of research and statistical analysis. Statistical software will be introduced, and students will compute descriptive and inferential statistical data. Students will practice developing research designs and conducting statistical analyses.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Fundamentals in Research
- Define appropriate academic research.
- Identify periodicals that describe academic research studies related to human services management.
- Discuss important ethical issues in research.
- Apply the scientific method to the field of human services management.
- Describe quantitative and qualitative research methods.
Focusing Your Research Efforts
- Identify ways to obtain representative quality data for research.
- Create a literature review of a research proposal.
- Discuss the scales of measurement used in research.
- Discuss the fundamentals of sampling.
- Create legitimate research problems.
Quantitative Research Methodologies and Data Analysis
- Evaluate the types of descriptive research designs.
- Describe the types of research designs that can determine cause-and-effect relationships.
- Discuss the use of descriptive statistics in research.
Research Evaluation and Data Analysis
- Describe the purpose and importance of evaluation in research.
- Describe formative and summative types of research evaluations.
- Discuss the use of inferential statistics in research.
Proposing a Research Study
- Write a research proposal.
- Interpret results of basic descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Apply basic applications of conducting statistics using Microsoft® Excel®.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.