cjs221 | undergraduate
Cultural Diversity In Criminal Justice
topic title goes here
Race, Ethnicity, and Corrections
- Identify issues of disparity and discrimination in corrections.
- Discuss the needs of special populations in correctional facilities and post-reintegration programs.
- Explain the benefits of diversity in corrections staff (warden, correctional officers, detention deputy, parole and probation officers) and retention practices.
Cultural Competence, Intercultural Communication, and Future Trends
- Explain the value of cultural competence in the criminal justice field and the benefits of intercultural communication skills.
- Discuss challenges facing the criminal justice system.
Diversity and Multiculturalism
- Identify the categories of race.
- Define the terms race, minority, inclusion, discrimination, and diversity.
- Explain the difference between diversity and discrimination.
- Differentiate between bias, discrimination, stereotyping, and cultural competency.
Social Structure, Victims, and Offenders in the Criminal Justice System
- Explain the importance of understanding offender rates and statistical data for race, minority, and ethnic groups.
- Examine how police practices and court decisions affect community relations and public opinions about the criminal justice system.
- Define and examine interracial and intraracial crimes.
- Examine theoretical explanations for offending and victimization related to race and ethnicity, with a focus on juveniles and gangs.
Race, Ethnicity, and the Courts
- Discuss disparity and discrimination in courtroom proceedings and the effect on the judicial system.
- Explain the difference between implicit biases and stereotypes and explicit stereotyping and attitudes.
- Describe the effect of racial disparity in sentencing.
- Explain the importance of diversity among courtroom and corrections personnel.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.