cpss411 | undergraduate
Mental Health Issues In The Forensic Setting
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Assessment of Mental Illness in Corrections
- Identify the challenges involved in assessing inmates with mental illness.
- Identify special issues related to assessing and treating inmates of different cultural backgrounds.
- Analyze the assessment instruments used as screening tools in the correctional setting.
- Determine the appropriate assessment instruments for a specific case.
Treatment Options and Interventions
- Identify the challenges associated with using medication as treatment in the corrections setting.
- Determine treatment interventions for inmates with mental illness.
- Describe special considerations for maintaining after care.
- Explain possible causes for mental health issues in female inmates.
- Describe treatment interventions for mentally ill female inmates.
- Describe common areas of concern for mental illness in juveniles.
- Describe treatment goals and strategies for mentally ill juvenile inmates.
- Identify special issues that may arise in managing and treating diverse inmates.
Special Topics in Treating the Mentally Ill in Corrections
- Analyze considerations for treating inmates with co-occurring disorders.
- Identify strategies for handling disruptive inmates.
- Analyze ethical issues in the assessment and treatment of mental illness in the corrections setting.
History of Mental Illness in Crime
- Describe the theories of causes of mental illness
- Explain the relationship between mental illness and crime.
- Describe the evolution of treatment perspectives based on the assessment of mental illness.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.