Ethical Issues in Education
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Ethical Issues in Education
Course level: EDU Graduate
This course examines the ethical framework and challenges of teachers and teacher leaders in today’s schools. The professional educational leader fosters ethical practices and engages in purposeful ethical decision making. Students will explore ethical, social, and political issues in education through case studies, field experiences, and other readings and interactions. Ethical leadership and decision making will be analyzed and discussed to determine how educational leaders will be able to provide support to teachers, students, and other constituents with the purpose of improving current educational practices. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Kentucky, Massachusetts, and New York.
This graduate level course requires proof of completion of a Bachelor's degree. Be prepared to provide documentation during the checkout process.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Describe the history of ethics.
- Evaluate various codes of ethics from a variety of professional fields.
- Analyze how personal codes of ethics apply to professional life, roles, and responsibilities.
- Define the concept of majority rule.
- Analyze the concepts of morals, ethics, and values.
- Critique the impact that ethical theories have on educational settings.
- Explore various ethical case studies that introduce strategies used to analyze ethical dilemmas.
- Evaluate the processes for examining and analyzing ethical issues in today's schools.
- Analyze the ethical challenges and responsibilities that teacher have with various stakeholders.
- Evaluate the ethical relationship between state and local curricular requirements and teachers' academic freedom.
- Analyze laws and issues related to copyright.
- Examine the ethical issues teachers and teacher leaders face regarding high-stakes testing.
- Analyze the relationship between teachers, teacher leaders, and administrators in terms of ethical leadership.
- Examine the legal and ethical role of the school board.
- Analyze legal and ethical rights and responsibilities of public school students in the areas of student rights.
- Explain issues of socioeconomic and cultural diversity in schools and related ethical dilemmas.
- Evaluate the role of social media and other technology in schools and ethical dilemmas related to teacher and student rights.
- Analyze the ethical and legal considerations of educating students with disabilities.