edu315 | undergraduate
Legal & Ethical Issues In Education
topic title goes here
- Describe the privileges and responsibilities associated with the role of a classroom teacher.
- Recognize responsibilities for addressing suspected unethical conduct of students and other school employees.
- Distinguish the difference between the ethical and legal considerations in education.
- Differentiate "right vs. wrong" as it applies to teacher conduct in a K-8 educational setting.
- Identify existing policies concerning conduct expected of teachers in school and outside of school.
- Examine state reporting requirements for school personnel.
- Explore the test practices at the school, district, and state levels.
- Evaluate how the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affect teachers' role in education and communication.
- Examine copyright infringement as it applies to students and teachers.
- Examine legal and ethical issues related to technology use.
- Distinguish between inappropriate and appropriate interaction with students.
- Recognize appropriate forms of interactions with parents and community.
Teachers and the law
- Name the basic principles that should guide teachers' decisions in relation to their practice (negligence, freedom of expression, teacher lifestyle, religion in and out of the classroom).
- Identify the potential impact of controversial personal conduct on employment and licensure.
- Recognize how boundary violations between teacher and students affect the education process.
- Distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate forms of communication with students.
Employment Requirements, Contracts, and Reasons for Possible Revocation
- Explore the certification and pre-employment screening requirements relating to fingerprinting and background checks.
- Identify your rights and responsibilities under a school contract for school employment.
- Recognize the roles of due process in employment and licensure.
- Examine reasons for possible dismissal and/or loss of licensure.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.