Coaching & Mentoring
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Coaching & Mentoring
Course level: Continuing Teacher Education
This course is designed to provide an overview of coaching and mentoring. Participants examine coaching and mentoring theories and models, the roles and responsibilities of the coach and mentor, common elements and issues related to coaching and mentoring strategies, and the development of communicative, nurturing relationships. Feedback, self-evaluation, reflection, and monitoring and evaluating performance are also explored. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
Coaching and Mentoring Foundations and Strategies
- Differentiate between coaching and mentoring.
- Identify the process for coaching and mentoring.
- Identify the different roles and responsibilities of a coach and of a mentor.
- Identify coaching and mentoring strategies.
- Describe approaches to coaching.
- Explain modes of mentoring.
Coaching and Mentoring Techniques
- Describe techniques used in successful coaching and in successful mentorship.
- Develop a professional growth plan for coaching or for mentoring.
- Identify strategies for working with challenging persons being coached or mentored.
Communication in Coaching and Mentoring
- Identify the components of active listening skills.
- Explain the importance of two-way communication.
- Discuss intercultural communication as it relates to coaching and mentoring.
- Describe nonverbal communication as it relates to coaching and mentoring.
- Analyze various methods of providing performance feedback in coaching or in a mentorship.
- Explain the value of self-evaluation and reflection.
- Analyze the process of monitoring and evaluating performance.
- Explain the rewards of coaching and mentoring.