eed416 | undergraduate
Elementary Methods: Mathematics
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
NCTM Data Analysis and Probability Standard
- Define data analysis and probability.
- Recognize instructional strategies to create data sets or collect, organize, and display relevant data.
- Analyze instructional strategies to develop and evaluate inferences and predictions that are based on data.
- Analyze instructional strategies to understand and apply basic concepts of probability.
- Explore instructional strategies to select and use appropriate statistical methods and analyze data.
Differentiating Instruction for Diverse Learners
- Examine current trends and issues regarding differentiating math instruction and assessment.
- Analyze instructional strategies used to adapt and modify learning activities.
- Analyze strategies to adjust and modify the use of materials and equipment for diverse learners.
Assessment of Mathematics
- Compare assessment strategies including traditional and authentic assessment.
- Compare and contrast the uses of formative and summative assessment.
- Construct open-ended assessments.
- Evaluate the characteristics of effective mathematics assessment.
Developing a Math Lesson Plan
- Explain the role of standards in planning and instruction in Mathematics.
- Compare and contrast different approaches to lesson plan design.
- Incorporate manipulatives and technology in lesson plan activities.
- Review the components of an effective lesson plan.
- Develop a math lesson plan.
- Incorporate technology into mathematics lesson plan activities.
Resources for Teaching Mathematics
- Identify ways to use the community and parents as resources.
- Explore professional mathematics organizations and their resources.
- Explore technology-based and print resources.
NCTM Geometry Standard
- Explore strategies to teach the characteristics and properties of two- or three-dimensional shapes.
- Explore strategies to teach representations of two- and three-dimensional objects using concrete models, drawings, and dynamic geometry software.
- Explore strategies to teach spatial relationships using coordinate geometry.
- Explore strategies to teach transformations, symmetry, congruence, and similarity.
- Identify the major concepts in geometry.
Managing the Mathematics Classroom
- Examine strategies used in managing a positive mathematics classroom environment.
- Recommend motivational and communication techniques useful to the mathematics classroom.
NCTM Measurement Standard
- Identify the major concepts in measurement.
- Explore strategies to teach measurement units, techniques, and tools.
- Explore strategies to teach measurable attributes of objects and the units, systems, and processes of measurement.
- Explore strategies to teach estimation.
Developmental Levels of Mathematical Thinking
- Identify current research in teaching and learning mathematics.
- Explore various theories and models of mathematics instruction.
NCTM Principles and Standards
- Describe the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) principles for school mathematics.
- Identify the NCTM content standards.
- Explain the NCTM process standards.
- Compare and contrast state standards for mathematics instruction and the NCTM standards.
NCTM Number and Operations Standard
- Identify the major concepts in number and operations.
- Examine strategies to teach numbers, ways of representing numbers, relationships among numbers, and number systems.
- Recognize strategies to teach meanings of operations and how they relate to one another.
- Develop strategies to teach mathematical understandings and skills with number systems and operations.
Designing a Mathematical Unit
- Plan lessons and a unit that address appropriate learning goals.
- Address local, state, and national standards in a mathematical unit.
- Implement a scope and sequence into planning mathematics instruction.
- Integrate mathematics into other curricula where appropriate.
- Utilize appropriate resources for development of a mathematical unit.
Scope and Sequence of Mathematics
- Investigate the scope and sequence of mathematics for grades K–8.
- Examine how a scope and sequence is used for long-term curriculum planning.
NCTM Algebra Standard
- Identify examples of algebraic thinking in the elementary curriculum.
- Develop strategies to teach problem solving.
- Explore patterns, relations, and functions as they relate to number sense.
Integration of Mathematics into Curricula
- Examine models for integration of cross-content curricula.
- Investigate integration within mathematical concepts.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.