eed420 | undergraduate
Elementary Methods - Science
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
- Identify a variety of methods used to assess learning in science.
- Construct a rubric to assess learning during an inquiry science lesson.
- Develop an assessment plan to align with instruction of science content and skills.
- Create assessments that address students’ prior knowledge and misconceptions.
Safety in the science classroom
- Describe appropriate classroom management and safety practices in the science classroom.
- Describe how the integration of science with other content areas promotes student learning.
- Create a lesson plan that integrates technology, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and the arts.
Successful Long-Range Planning
- Generate a pacing schedule for a curriculum map.
- Outline a one-year plan for science instruction.
Differentiating Instruction for Diverse Learners
- Examine current trends and issues regarding differentiating science instruction and assessment.
- Analyze instructional strategies used to adapt and modify learning activities.
- Analyze strategies to adjust and modify the use of materials and equipment for diverse learners.
- Describe a teacher inquiry orientation to learning and teaching science.
- Explore resources for professional development associated with science teaching.
Foundations of Science Instruction
- Describe the social and cultural influences on science education.
- Examine state science standards.
- Compare state science standards to national science standards.
- Identify science content topics in state and national standards.
- Review national science standards (National Science Teachers Association).
Resources for Teaching Science
- Explain the benefits of professional science organizations for science teachers.
- Explore technology-based and print resources.
- Identify ways to use the community and parents as resources.
Best Practices in Teaching Science
- Identify best practices in science education.
- Align skills with content topics in science standards through concept mapping.
- Create an inquiry-based science lesson.
- Define inquiry teaching.
- Identify a variety of questioning techniques.
- Differentiate between the different levels of questioning.
- Write questions to engage students in inquiry.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.