elm535 | Graduate
Application Of Research-based Literacy Instruction
This graduate-level course is 6 To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Writing Genres and Teaching Interdisciplinary Writing
- Investigate cross-disciplinary planning and instructional strategies for implementing writing skills across curriculum.
- Examine instructional practices for teaching genre-specific writing.
- Propose strategies for activating, reinforcing, and extending studentsâ content area vocabulary through writing.
- Compare writing genres and their purpose.
Assessing Literacy Growth
- Evaluate research-based methods for assessing and monitoring growth in literacy.
- Analyze ways to interpret, organize, and manage assessment data.
- Investigate practices for sharing descriptive feedback with students.
- Evaluate strategies for developing studentsâ ability to self-assess their literacy level.
Enrichment and Intervention Strategies for Literacy
- Investigate strategies for developing and enhancing critical thinking skills in literacy.
- Compare methods for determining appropriate texts for student reading levels.
- Analyze literacy interventions for addressing specific learning needs.
- Explore home reinforcement literacy activities.
Resources and Technology for a Literacy-Rich Classroom
- Investigate multimedia and technological resources that support and enhance literacy learning.
- Explore professional and community resources to enhance literacy instruction.
- Describe the components of a literacy-rich English language arts classroom.
Writing Skills Progression
- Examine developmental writing stages.
- Explore instructional strategies for writing skill development.
- Evaluate strategies for motivating and supporting reluctant writers.
- Describe the stages of the writing process using multiple representations that guide learning progression.
- Analyze the six traits model for teaching writing.
- Examine appropriate leveling, scaffolding, and supporting materials for writing instruction.
- Assess the importance of teaching spelling, grammar, punctuation, and handwriting.
- Evaluate the use of rubrics for guiding students and assessing writing.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.