elm536 | Graduate
Social Studies Content And Curricular Knowledge
This graduate-level course is 6 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Social Studies: Purpose and Place
- Describe the importance of social studies instruction at the elementary level.
- Analyze national and state social studies standards.
- Examine major concepts for history, geography, civics and government, and economics.
- Analyze the nature of citizenship education and its potential impact on students.
Methodologies for Social Studies Instruction
- Assess the importance of active learning in social studies.
- Evaluate the use of primary and secondary sources in social studies instruction.
- Explore ways to create engaging lesson plans and units for achieving curricular goals.
- Describe the use of data from formative and summative assessments in planning.
Teaching in the Diverse Classroom
- Examine the influence of cultural diversity on curriculum and lesson design.
- Investigate methods for incorporating culturally responsive instruction in social studies.
- Analyze methods for creating student-centered social studies instruction.
- Evaluate strategies for adapting instruction to meet the needs of culturally, academically, and linguistically diverse students.
Instructional Practices and Assessment
- Investigate strategies for teaching social studies skills and concepts.
- Investigate strategies for using inquiry to develop reasoning skills in a social studies context.
- Analyze the use of current events and simulations in social studies education.
- Evaluate methods for assessing student understanding in a social studies context.
Interdisciplinary Social Studies Curriculum
- Analyze the connection between literacy and social studies content learning.
- Investigate strategies for incorporating writing strategies to a social studies context.
- Evaluate strategies for incorporating interdisciplinary teaching in social studies.
- Create a social studies literacy-integrated unit plan that would help students develop critical thinking skills.
Resources for Teaching Social Studies
- Assess ways to research and use school and community resources for social studies instruction.
- Analyze the technological resources and tools that enhance learning in social studies instruction.
- Investigate methods for evaluating the quality of media resources for use in social studies instruction.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.