Science Content & Curricular Knowledge
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Science Content & Curricular Knowledge
Course level: EDU Graduate
This course focuses on the pedagogy and assessment strategies that enhance inquiry learning in the science classroom. Content knowledge, interdisciplinary teaching, curriculum, and assessment are emphasized. Teacher candidates will focus on enhancing the meaning of science concepts, developing critical thinking skills to include the use of science in other disciplinary areas, and creating real-life experiences for all learners. This graduate course is 6 weeks. This course has a prerequisite. Please see details in the Prerequisite section below. PLEASE NOTE: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all university courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information. This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Arkansas, Connecticut, Iowa, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, Wyoming and individuals who reside outside the United States.
This graduate level course requires proof of completion of a Bachelor's degree. Be prepared to provide documentation during the checkout process.
During the checkout process you will be prompted to provide proof of the requirement(s). If you completed the prerequisite at another institution be prepared to upload an official/unofficial transcript. If you have questions about meeting the prerequisite requirements for this course please contact an enrollment representative at 866-345-1800.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Examine state and national standards for science.
- Describe the progression of your state’s standards between each elementary grade level.
- Examine the major concepts within life science, physical science, and earth and space science.
- Identify strategies for teaching content-specific vocabulary.
- Apply strategies for effective management in a science classroom.
- Describe strategies for developing students’ cooperative learning skills.
- Identify methods for ensuring safety in science classrooms.
- Evaluate strategies for developing science units and lessons that promote discovery and active engagement.
- Evaluate methods for assessing learning before, during, and after instruction in science.
- Describe strategies for using assessment data to inform planning and instruction.
- Analyze strategies for differentiating science instruction.
- Describe how technology can be used to enhance learning and support diverse needs.
- Explain the principles that inform how children learn science.
- Identify the key components of inquiry-based learning in science.
- Evaluate strategies for developing learners’ inquiry process skills.
- Analyze instructional tools and strategies that are designed to help students reason, solve problems, and communicate effectively in science.
- Identify project-based learning activities for science.
- Investigate the use of interdisciplinary teaching for increasing engagement and enhancing learning.
- Explore models for building interdisciplinary units of study.
- Evaluate assessment strategies appropriate for project-based learning and interdisciplinary teaching.
- Evaluate professional and community resources that support and enhance science instruction.
- Describe the importance of self-reflection and professional development in improving practice.
- Investigate strategies for collaborating with all stakeholders to enhance learning.