eng380 | undergraduate
topic title goes here
Sociolinguistics and Language Acquisition
- Outline the stages of first-language acquisition.
- Contrast the different forms of bilingualism.
Communication and Language
- Explain why English is used so widely as an international language.
- Differentiate between linguistic competence and linguistic performance.
- Describe how language changes over time.
- Distinguish between the words communication and language.
Morphology and Syntax
- Describe the ways that new words are coined.
- Define the words grammar and syntax.
- Distinguish between phrases and clauses.
- Identify different sentence types based on the clauses used to construct each type.
Sign Language and Speech
- Compare and contrast how sign language is acquired by deaf children to how hearing children acquire speech.
Semantics and Pragmatics
- Differentiate among homonyms, synonyms, antonyms, and hyponyms.
- Explain how innate biological factors and cultural factors can influence the interpretation of nonverbal communication.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.