Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course introduces students to issues related to risk management in health care. Concepts will include the tasks of the risk manager, regulatory requirements, and risk factors unique to the health care industry.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
Week 1 – Concept of Risk Management in Health Care
- Explain the concepts of risk management in the health care industry.
- Explain factors that influence risk management in the health care industry.
Week 2 – Enterprise Risk Management
- Explain the relationship between risk management and quality management.
- Explain the concept of Enterprise Risk Management.
- Explain key drivers of Value Driven Enterprise Risk Management.
Week 3 – Regulatory Standards and Risk Management Information for Decision Making
- Explain how regulatory and accreditation standards affect the development of performance-management systems.
- Analyze the information and information technology methods needed to make risk-management decisions in the health care industry.
Week 4 – Enterprise Risk Management and Corporate Compliance
- Analyze key risk management tools in the health care industry.
- Analyze challenges in making risk management decisions.
Week 5 – Risk Reporting and Risk Adjustment
- Contrast formal and informal methods for reporting adverse events in a health care organization.
- Explain the role of risk adjustment in managing health care organizations.