lit255 | undergraduate
Survey Of American Literature To 1860
topic title goes here
The Changing Nation
- Explain how increasing concern over race and gender relations affected the literature of the preâCivil War period.
- Identify the roles of fiction, essays, and plays in the preâCivil War period.
- Describe how different public rhetorics contested American national identity.
- Analyze early American literatureâs meaning and importance.
The New World
- Identify the predominant literary qualities of the early explorers.
- Summarize how culture, politics, and religion influenced the writings of the early American exploration period.
- Explain the literary qualities and ideologies of Native American myths and oral traditions.
- Recognize the major works and authors of the colonial period.
- Explain how religion shaped colonial American literature.
- Explain how politics and historical events shaped colonial American literature.
The New Republic
- Recognize the major works and authors of the revolutionary period.
- Explain how the American Revolution influenced the literature of the revolutionary period.
- Describe how developing a national identity shaped the creation of an American literary culture.
- Describe how the westward land expansion of America influenced literature of the revolutionary period.Â
The American Renaissance
- Recognize the major works and authors of the American Renaissance.
- Summarize how culture, politics, and religion influenced the writings of the American Renaissance.
- Explain the Transcendentalist movement's influence on American literature and culture.
- Identify the role poetry played in the American Renaissance.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.