Search Engine Optimization
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course will provide students with the tools to apply concepts used in search engine optimization. After completion of this course, students will be able to perform a competitive analysis, create a keyword strategy, design a website architecture, create a page-level strategy, develop a content and social media strategy to enhance a website's ability to be found, and identify techniques and tools that enhance search results across user interfaces.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
- Compare the differences between paid, organic, local, and image search.
- Define the major factors in the organic search algorithm.
- Explain why semantic search is important to marketers.
- Identify how the knowledge graph works.
- Apply a keyword strategy to help a website to be found.
- Explain which components of website architecture are relevant to search engines.
- Illustrate how to write search-engine friendly website copy.
- Compare competitive websites and identify the factors that may rank one higher than the other.
- Identify the most important signals of website relevance to search engines.
- Describe the importance of content creation and sharing to search engine optimization (SEO).
- Explain the difference between owned, earned, and paid content sharing.
- Create a plan for leveraging social media to improve the ability for a website to be found.
- Compare the concepts of trust and authority in a digital environment.
- Apply author rank toward marketing a website.
- Illustrate the importance of Google+ to search rankings.
- Describe how to leverage influencers to drive traffic to your website.
- Identify the ways in which traffic to a website is monitored.
- Determine the various ways organic SEO can be measured beyond keyword rankings.
- Describe the importance of mobile to search.
- Explain how search engines are expected to evolve in the future.