Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date:
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all programs are available to residents of all states. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Course level: Undergraduate
This course examines the concepts and practical applications of emotional intelligence. Emotional intelligence is the ability to manage one's own internal emotional environment and one's ability to participate in relationships with others. Through a highly interactive format, the course will focus on how to assess basic skills in emotional intelligence, how to develop strategies to improve and enhance basic skill levels, and how to experiment with techniques that facilitate dealing with others of varying emotional backgrounds and competency levels.
What you'll learn
Course skills and outcomes
The Nature of Emotional Intelligence
- Describe emotional intelligence and its importance in effective communication.
- Analyze the use of emotional intelligence concepts in work life, home life, and personal life.
- Identify common opportunities people have to improve their use of emotional intelligence.
Strategies To Improve Emotional Intelligence
- Describe strategies to decrease stress as it applies to your emotional intelligence.
- Evaluate your emotional communication and identify strategies to improve communication skills.
- Determine how conflict resolution is essential to emotional intelligence.
- Develop a customized plan to improve at least one of your individual competencies.