rdg415 | undergraduate
Diagnosis And Remediation Of Reading Difficulties
This undergraduate-level course is 5 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Assessment in Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Difficulties, Informal Assessments
- Implement an Informal Reading Inventory (IRI).
- Describe the importance of formal and informal assessments in identifying and remediating reading difficulties.
- Identify the elements involved in implementing effective assessments for designing effective instructional plans.
- Describe how classroom assessments are used as formative and summative tools for guiding or monitoring student progress and for evaluating instruction.
- Identify informal instruments that assess the following areas of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension.
Diagnosis and Remediation of Reading Difficulties
- Compare and contrast norm-referenced and criterion-referenced tests.
- Define validity and reliability.
- Identify formal instruments that assess the following areas of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension.
- Identify screening tools and assessments used to alert educators to potential reading problems.
Strategies for Instructional Intervention
- Identify strategies for intervention in the following areas of reading: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, comprehension, and study skills.
- Select appropriate reading texts to meet the instructional needs of a practicum student.
- Describe classroom interventions and accommodations that support students with reading disabilities.
Differentiated Instruction, Communicating Test Results, and Instructional Plans
- Examine various pedagogical strategies to address diverse learning styles.
- Examine the organization and use of a school-wide multi-tiered model for instruction and intervention.
- Analyze formats for communicating assessment information to students, parents, teachers, and professionals.
- Analyze a series of reading assessments, including a reading inventory, for the purpose of identifying strengths and weaknesses and planning instruction for a student.
Stages of Reading, Factors Affecting Reading Success and Failure, Types of Reading Difficulties
- Identify the stages of reading development.
- Identify factors that impact reading success or failure.
- Examine how writing can influence reading success or failure.
- Identify reading difficulties that students experience.
- Describe typical signs and symptoms of dyslexia in elementary-aged students.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.