rdng501 | Graduate
Reading Methods: Elementary
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Approaches to Literacy Instruction
- Analyze instructional approaches used to teach reading.
- Compare models of reading and perspectives on reading curriculum.
- Identify organizational strategies and structures for providing text instruction.
- Explain how an educatorâs belief system regarding the teaching of reading may influence his/her approach to reading instruction.
Early Literacy and Diverse Learners; The Reading Assessment Process
- Explain the process of literacy development in young children.
- Identify techniques and methods for improving studentsâ print concept, phonological awareness, and phonemic awareness skills.
- Describe approaches to teaching phonics and word identification.
- Analyze strategies that support universal access for diverse learners.
- Analyze the relationship between assessment and instruction.
- Define basic concepts and terms related to reading assessment.
- Examine current trends in reading assessment.
- Identify examples of formal and informal reading assessments, and the settings in which each assessment should be used.
Workshop Three: Comprehension, Vocabulary, and Fluency
- Develop strategies to enhance reading comprehension in language arts and content area instruction.
- Compare methods for vocabulary instruction.
- Identify techniques and activities for improving silent and oral reading fluency.
- Evaluate strategies that prepare students to read content area subject matter.
Reading and Writing Connection
- Analyze the relationship between reading and writing.
- Identify strategies and techniques for integrating reading and writing across the curriculum.
- Integrate effective writing strategies into literacy learning.
- Integrate technology tools and media literacy into reading and writing curriculum.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.