rdng507 | Graduate
Content Area Reading And Writing For Elementary
This graduate-level course is 4 weeks To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Comprehension Strategies and Study Skills in the Content Areas
- Identify approaches to lesson and unit planning for content area classrooms.
- Analyze best practices for teaching students how to comprehend and think critically about content area texts.
- Evaluate strategies that teach students study skills for content area texts.
- Identify key components of explicit and functional strategy instruction and the role they both play in content area instruction.
- Evaluate strategies for activating and building on childrenâs prior knowledge and interest related to content areas.
Childrenâ s Literature, Technology, and Media in the Content Areas
- Examine the role that childrenâs literature plays in content area instruction.
- Evaluate ways to integrate new literacies and multi-literacies into content area instruction.
- Identify critical issues related to studentsâ use of the Internet for research, reading, and writing.
- Identify appropriate websites, software, and effective media tools for use by teachers and by elementary students in the content areas.
- Analyze childrenâs literature, media, and technology tools for inclusion of multicultural and multi-language content.
Guiding Principles of Content Area Reading and Writing Development
- Analyze critical issues regarding content area reading and writing instruction and learning.
- Identify characteristics of effective literacy teachers.
- Analyze the role that content area reading and writing plays in a 21st century world.
- Examine content area literacy standards.
Reading and Writing in the Content Areas
- Evaluate content area trade books, texts, and non-text materials for readability level, appropriateness, interest, and accessibility.
- Identify approaches to content area reading and writing assessment that align with state standards and current legislation.
- Evaluate criteria for determining the effectiveness of reading and writing methods for student engagement, interest, and understanding in content area classrooms.
- Propose strategies for activating, reinforcing, and extending studentsâ knowledge in content area vocabulary.
- Create effective and engaging writing assignments as a response to content area reading and as a way to showcase content area learning.
- Evaluate appropriate measures to assess student writing and to document student development in content area writing tasks.
- Examine ways to integrate reading and writing in the content areas.
- Identify effective strategies that target writing to learn (WTL) and writing in disciplines (WID) in content area classrooms.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.