TEACHING METHODS: SECONDARY MATHEMATICS
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date: 08 Dec 2020
Start when you're ready
Choose an upcoming start date: 16 Feb 2021
This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program.View all programs
Course level: "Continuing Teacher Education"
"<p>This course provides participants with the knowledge of research and standards-based pedagogical instructional practice that facilitates learning in the secondary mathematics classroom. Participants explore diversity and equity, mathematics standards and curriculum, and technology integration, as critical components of planning for and implementing mathematics instruction and assessment. In addition, participants examine the importance of teacher reflection, instructional leadership, and professional development to continuously improve one's teaching of mathematics.</p> <p><strong><i>This course is not available for enrollment to residents of Alabama, Arkansas, and Kentucky.</i></strong></p>"
Purchase of LabPaq® Hands-on Lab Kits are required for this course.
Please Note: Attendance and participation are mandatory in all University courses, and specific requirements may differ by course. If attendance requirements are not met, a student may be removed from the course. Please review the Course Attendance Policy in the Catalog for more information.
University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses. While widely available, not all courses are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with an enrollment representative.
What you'll learn
What you’ll learn
Foundations of Mathematics Curriculum and Instruction
- Explain the differences between doing mathematics, learning mathematics, and teaching mathematics.
- Compare traditional and constructivist models of instruction.
- Evaluate resources used in the mathematics classroom.
Planning Mathematics Instruction, Teaching Strategies, and Creating an Effective Learning Environment
- Write effective goals and objectives for lesson plans using the Common Core Standards for Mathematical Practice.
- Explain the value of using manipulatives in secondary mathematics instruction.
- Modify lessons to improve student performance.
- Explain how technology can be used in mathematics instruction. Analyze constructivist teaching strategies.
- Create a plan for developing a positive and effective learning environment.
Meeting the Needs of Diverse Students, Families, and Schools
- Define equity in mathematics education.
- Explain how classroom instruction can be differentiated to meet the needs of all learners.
- Propose ways in which teachers and the school can work with families to support students.
Student Assessment and Teacher Reflection in Mathematics Instruction
- Create assessments that meet the needs of diverse learners.
- Identify the key elements of instructional leadership in secondary mathematics.
- Develop a professional development plan.
- Reflect on teaching practices.