writ310 | undergraduate
Creative Writing: Personal Essays And Creative Non-fiction
This course in creative writing offers practice and criticism in the reading, analysis, and composition of personal essays and nonfiction.
This undergraduate-level course is 5 This course is available as part of a degree or certificate program. To enroll, speak with an Enrollment Representative.
topic title goes here
Form and Theory
- Explain the relationship between truth and the nonfiction writer’s perspective.
- Demonstrate the use of scenes in organizing a story and building reader tension.
- Describe the goals of the creative personal essay form.
- Demonstrate the balance between dramatization and explanation in a creative essay form.
- Analyze a piece of literature from a writer’s perspective.
- Explain the challenges and benefits of writing essays intended to be read aloud.
- Demonstrate techniques for shifting back and forth in time within a narrative.
- Explore the challenges of writing oneself as a character in a memoir.
- Describe the ethical issues involved in writing memoirs.
- Describe the role that interviews play in scene development for literary journalism.
- Demonstrate the role of archival research in writing about past events.
- Differentiate between traditional news journalism and literary journalism.
Revision and Publishing
- Identify strategies for critiquing one’s own writing during the revision process.
- Demonstrate the ability to substantially revise a work of short creative nonfiction.
- Explain how and where to publish creative nonfiction.
Please ask about these special rates:
Teacher Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for current, certified P-12 teachers and administrators. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
Military Rate: For some courses, special tuition rates are available for active duty military members and their spouses. Please speak with an Enrollment Representative today for more details.
The University of Phoenix reserves the right to modify courses.
While widely available, not all programs are available in all locations or in both online and on-campus formats. Please check with a University Enrollment Representative.
Transferability of credit is at the discretion of the receiving institution. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm whether or not credits earned at University of Phoenix will be accepted by another institution of the student’s choice.