Earn these career-relevant skills in weeks, not years.
- Describe the importance of effective communication in corrections.
- Explain the necessity of properly written documentation in the corrections setting.
- Describe the role of written documentation in corrections.
- Explain the role of listening in communication.
- Identify the components of motivational interviewing.
- Examine the use of de-escalation and crisis intervention strategies in specific situations.
- Describe the use of negotiation techniques for specific situations.
- Describe the key concepts of the basic communication process.
- Identify special issues related to communicating with inmates and offenders of diverse cultures and mental capacities.
- Describe the application of the principles of interpersonal communication to the correctional system.
- Explain how differences in types of inmate or offender language affect communication.
- Describe ethical guidelines for communicating with the general public and family members of inmates and offenders.
- Identify limitations in communication.
- Formulate a plan for maintaining boundaries in situations with inmate or offender manipulation.
Communicating in Corrections
- Apply effective communication strategies in specific situations within the correctional system.