Award honors top faculty nominated by students and faculty colleagues
The University of Phoenix honored its annual Faculty of the Year Award recipients at an awards ceremony event held Saturday, June 3 at the Omni Scottsdale Resort & Spa at Montelucia in Scottsdale, Arizona. The Faculty of the Year Award is part of the Faculty Rewards & Recognition Program at the University of Phoenix. Each year, the university announces a nomination period and asks students, employees and faculty to nominate faculty for the award. The awards ceremony was part of a series of weekend activities held to promote community and connection for faculty recipients.
“Our practitioner faculty at University of Phoenix are well positioned to provide an enriching experience for our students,” states John Woods, Ph.D., provost and chief academic officer at University of Phoenix. “The Faculty of the Year Award as well as our planned celebrations held in person this year gives us time and space to recognize the recipients’ deep level of commitment and engagement as they support and inspire our students.”
The Faculty of the Year Award honors the contributions of faculty across the university’s seven colleges: College of Business and Information Technology; College of Doctoral Studies; College of Education; College of General Studies; College of Health Professions; College of Nursing; and College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. This year, there were 15 award recipients.
- Barbara Lombardi, M.A. (College of General Studies)
- April Newman, MFA (College of General Studies)
- William Stewart, MBA (College of General Studies)
- Catherine Blanco, M.A.T. (College of General Studies)
- Mohammed Miah, EdD (College of Business and Information Technology)
- James Traylor, DBA (College of Business and Information Technology)
- Shawn Matheson, MBA (College of Health Professions)
- Yuvonne Richmond, DBA (College of Business and Information Technology)
- Susan Olsen, MBA (College of Business and Information Technology)
- John Hullar, MPA (College of Social and Behavioral Sciences)
- Judith Sugg, PhD (College of Social and Behavioral Sciences)
- Molly King, EdD (College of Education)
- Annie Oakes, PhD (College of General Studies)
- Jaime Davis, PhD (College of Doctoral Studies)
- Josephine Bennion, DNP (College of Nursing)
“I want to be that person who connects with students, that expresses belief in them,” shares Shawn Matheson, MBA, an award recipient, and faculty in the College of Health Professions. “So many people tend to perform to the ability that they think others think they are capable of. And that’s the memorable type of person, the positive type of coach that I want to be…I appreciate this recognition in honor of those interactions with students.”
The award recipients were hosted for a special weekend that included attending and being recognized at an Arizona Diamondbacks game at Chase Field ballpark in Phoenix, as well as a day of fun activities that closed with a celebration dinner and awards ceremony.
Yuvonne Richmond, DBA, an award recipient and faculty in the College of Business and Information Technology attended this year’s festivities. “Teaching at the University means I get to make a great impact in the lives of my students by coaching, mentoring, and just being there for them to make sure they are successful,” she stated. “I am deeply honored to receive this 2023 Faculty of the Year Award because I know what great faculty we have here at the University of Phoenix.”
Learn more here about teaching opportunities at University of Phoenix.
About University of Phoenix
University of Phoenix is continually innovating to help working adults enhance their careers in a rapidly changing world. Flexible schedules, relevant courses, interactive learning, and Career Services for Life® commitment help students more effectively pursue career and personal aspirations while balancing their busy lives. For more information, visit phoenix.edu.